The social media is filled with content , millions of posts daily , how do I make my voice be heard ? Specially so if I am a nonprofit.
The challenges of a nonprofit / cause marketing.
1. No / Low marketing budgets : funders don’t fund for marketing. Hopefully this trend will change.
2. No / Voluntary teams: The teams at a nonprofit are focused on the cause , there are no skilled teams available internally. Volunteers help but they have their priorities. So there is no focus .
3. No consistency : The result of a missing dedicated staff is there is no consistency in putting out the message. And social media engagement is all about consistency.
4. Not a priority: It is easier to tap into a few large funders than build a social following. So why even attempt .
For years that I have worked with nonprofits I have propagated storytelling . Why ?
1. There is content : Nonprofits have stories everywhere, beneficiary , volunteers , founders , cause .
2. Stories touch the heart : The way to the purse strings is through the heart .
3. You need community : When things turned in the pandemic the large funders vanished leaving nonprofits in a lurch. Their causes which were now more important, suffered . You need the community support , that is a cushion you have in times good and bad.
After all it is a community issue , you need to build your tribe of committed followers.
4. YOU DONT NEED BIG INVESTMENT ! This is the most important message I want to share and I will do this through a case study of a individual that has built a huge following on Instagram for her cause .
Smriti Dua is a individual.
She posts stories daily on Instagram.
She shoots all the stories with a mobile phone.
Every story is less than a minute and simply visually told with a reel.
Every story is true .
Every story touches your heart .
Over time she has built her tribe for he cause. A tribe that believes in her cause . A tribe that supports her cause .
In times good and bad her tribe is behind her.
The question I have is if an individual can build a tribe of 109 k followers on Instagram. What stops any Nonprofit?
What can be the excuse?
Don’t beg , INSPIRE your tribe to support your cause .
You don’t need big investments and fancy gadgets . You do not even need high skills . You need the will and consistency to tell stories.
Tell True stories and follow the 3 Cs
Consistency, consistency, consistency.
You will build your tribe.